Through my journey to getting healthier, I have found that a simple pair of sweats and basketball shorts is not enough to do as much as I would like to and to be honest, they aren’t always the best things to wear when doing certain types of exercise. There really is merit in getting gear that is specifically designed for activities. I have found that having these kinds of pieces in my workout wardrobe not only allow me to feel comfortable, but they prevent certain things like chafing and overheating. Here is my list of essential workout gear every woman needs in her wardrobe.
1. A good pair of moisture wicking leggings- I am lucky enough to own several pairs, but it was a lot of trial and error here. Don’t just buy some spandex pants and think this is good enough, especially if you are plus size, like me. I prefer activewear leggings made for plus size women because they fit better.
2. Moisture Wicking Capris or Shorts- Just as with pants or leggings, you want a brand that is made to fit your body. I also like compression style capris because they help to support my body during rigorous workouts and they don’t slide down. Look for wide bands, too. They help things stay in place.
3. A performance Jacket- My favorite jacket for working out is an activewear jacket with vents and thumbholes. I like the vents because they help keep me cool in the summer and in the winter, the thumbholes keep my hands warmer. You want a jacket that is made for plus sized active women, too as the fit can’t be beat. Try the Angela Print Jacket
4. A Good Pair of Shoes- They don’t have to be top of the line, but you should have some shoes that fit well, are made for your activity and are strictly for workouts. This will keep them in the best shape possible and allow them to not track dirt into the gym.
5. Flip Flops for the Gym- If you work out in the gym, you will need some good waterproof flip flops.This is very true especially if you shower at the gym. Most gyms are super clean, but there are things on public floors you will want to avoid. Plus, in the summer, you can slide them on and put your gym shoes in your bag and not be tempted to wear them out and about after.
6. A moisture wicking Headband- I can’t stress enough how important this is, at least for me. I tend to sweat a lot from my head during workouts and there is nothing more annoying than sweat ending up in my eyes or running down my face during a fierce workout. A moisture wicking headband will also keep you feeling a little cooler as well.
7. A Good Sports Bra- This is probably one of the first things to invest in as you build your active wear wardrobe. I find that a good sports bra for plus sizes is essential for keeping everything in it’s place as well as back and neck support. You also want one that is easy to slip on and off. I don’t know about you, but I hate messing with sports bras that are hard to get on because they are just one solid piece. I really like plus sized sports bras that have a front zipper because they are easy to put on and take off. Click here for Rainbeau Curves bra selections.
8. A Performance Top- I did many workouts in a t-shirt before I realized that there was plus sized activewear tops out there. When I switched to them, I found I was able to workout much longer and more efficient because they had good support, were lightweight and allowed for more movement.
There are so many ways to be fashionable and get the most out of your workout ear wardrobe! If money is an issue, buy one piece at a time and soon, you will have everything you need in your collection no matter the weather or what you plan on doing! The most important thing is you buy workout gear that makes you feel strong and confident no matter what.
Written By Christine Tolhurst from Saved By Grace Blog
Like this post? Want to read more from Christine? Click Here